There’s nothing that says summer better than a good apple pie and since apple trees are on sale this week, we’d thought we’d share the Frazee Family recipe with you.
What you need:
- 1 package of pie crust mix
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 5 cups thinly sliced peeled apples (3 large)
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- additional sugar
- Heat oven to 425° Make pie crust mix as directed for 9” two-crust pie, using 1/3 cup cold water; trim overhanging edge of bottom pastry 1” from rim of plate.
- Stir together 1/2 cup sugar, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg in large bowl. Add apples and toss. Spoon pastry-lined pie plate and dot with butter.
- Roll remaining pastry; cut into 10 strips, each about 1/2” wide. Place 5 strips across filling in pie plate. Weave cross-strip through by first folding back every other strip of the first 5 strips. Continue weaving, folding back alternate strips before adding each cross-strip, until lattice is complete. Trim ends. Fold trimmed edge of bottom crust ends of strips, building up a high edge, seal and flute. Brush lightly with milk and sprinkle lightly with additional sugar.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until crust is golden brown and juice is bubbly.